Originally published on 3BL Media
Not entirely sure what a hashtag is or how and why you should be using them in your tweets? Check out this blog post: The How’s and Why’s of Using Hashtags on Twitter. Once you have the basic understanding of hashtags down, it’s time to gwork towards selecting and using the best hashtags for your tweets.
Recommending hashtags is a task that ranges from simple to nearly impossible, but here are a few things to consider first:
- What’s the main topic or idea of the tweet’s content?
- What hashtags are being used in other tweets about similar content?
- Is this tweet supporting an event or concurrent conversation already using a hashtag?
Let’s start with the popular categories we segment content into at 3BL Media. (Some topics are more popular than others but this is just a list to inspire and get the hashtag ideas flowing.)
- Awards & Recognition
- Business & Trade
For more info here, check out How to Identify Relevant Hashtags for Your Business
- Diversity and Human Resources
Further reading: The Complete Guide To Twitter Hashtags For Education
Want more #energy ideas? Review The Ultimate Green Twitter Hashtag List: Build Your Online Green Twitter Following
- Environment and Climate Change
- Ethical Production and Consumption
- Events, Conferences and Webinars
It’s always best to check and see if the event has a designated hashtag. If the event is organized by you, create your own hashtag and be sure to promote and include in all materials so all attendees are aware of it
- Finance & Socially Responsibly Investment
- Media & Communications
More ideas: 45 hashtags for sustainability reports
- Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Volunteerism & Community Engagement
While it might seem like there are a lot of hashtags included in this post, it is just a sampling. Always make sure that the hashtag you are using is relevant to your content. The best way to find that out is to go to Twitter and search for the hashtag. Also, keep track of the hashtags used. Did the hashtag(s) improve the performance of the tweet? Those are the gems to keep track of and continue to use ones that bring your increased exposure.
Do you have a favorite hashtag or one that’s brought an increase in engagement that I missed? Let me know!
Image Source: Ning.com